Seinfeld fans will recall the ReGifting Episode all about the only-too-true topic of what folks do with gifts that don’t quite suit them for one reason or another… I believe it was about Elaine and a label maker…
I’m not exactly sure where I first got the idea to use ReGifting as the basis for a grab, but it’s a keeper!
Anyway, it’s pretty self-explanatory… Instead of a gag grab or some other theme-based grab that leads to more expense and more buying of new products that we don’t need, just have a Yankee ReGifting Swap. The only rule ~ no newly-purchased items allowed!
I can personally attest to the fun that can be had… We did it at Irish Dance (the parents’ booster group – good times, good times) a couple of times and my side of the family gave it a whirl last year.
Here’s are a few pics from last year’s First Annual Darcy Family Regifting Swap with my family:
Couple of things:
- Anything goes, the gifts don’t have to be horrible or wonderful, just stuff that folks got once upon a time and, for one reason or another, never used.
- Use whichever swap rules you like. Does #1 get the final choice? Does each person swap with the previous right after they open their gift? Up to you and your group’s preferences (If you are asking me, “heck YES” to both).
- Swap, swap, swap… It’s part of the fun and you won’t offend anybody because it’s all regifted stuff in the first place!
- Bring along an extra regifting swap if you have one. There’s sure to be someone who doesn’t bring along a grab for whatever reason. The more the merrier…
- Not enough grabs for everyone? Have couples share a number (and therefore a grab choice). This adds a whole ‘nother layer of squabbling as the couples “discuss” whether to keep their gift or swap it, and, for what?!!!
One Last Tip: Not sure what to bring to regift? Look in your holiday storage boxes as you are decorating… Chances are that you tucked some “what am I going to do with this?” presents away last year in your haste to clean up from the holidays and get on with the new year…
Any Questions? Give it a try and let me know how it goes!