More Than Words is one of the organizations I’ve been donating books to from early on in my pre-launch. They are fantastic… And, rather than spend time writing all about them again, may I suggest you put “More Than Words” in the search tool on the right and you can read all about my experiences with this wonderful social enterprise…
Here’s a job opening at More Than Words that I am happy to pass along…
Business Development Manager
Are you ready to apply your business savvy and entrepreneurial spirit to a social enterprise?
Do you love talking on the phone, meeting new people and building partnerships?
Are you excited to teach youth the art of sales, growing a business, & hitting benchmarks?
You may be More Than Words!!
read on for the entire job description…
More Than Words (MTW) is a nonprofit social enterprise that employs youth, ages 16-21, who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. By working as a team to manage their own retail and online used book business, café, and community space, youth develop the employment skills, leadership, and self-confidence they need to successfully transition to adulthood. In addition to store-based job training, youth are engaged in personal transition planning to support their progress towards employment and higher education. The MTW model is premised on the belief that an actual job – one which provides hands-on, real-world training and developmentally appropriate feedback – combined with high expectations, accountability and opportunities for personal development, is the best way to equip youth with marketable skills critical for success in work, college and life.
MTW seeks a creative, highly motivated, detail-oriented and organized individual to lead our efforts to create systems and strategies to coordinate ongoing book donations and support youth to build their inventory. All of the books our youth sell online and in their store are donated through book drives and partnerships. This position is critical to helping More Than Words achieve planned growth by building a sustainable model for sourcing book donations that can be replicated at our second site location within our next fiscal year.
Reports to Director of Operations.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for:
1. Sustainable Book Sourcing Partnerships:
- Develop and manage overall strategy for sourcing used book and media donations to build MTW youth inventory including book drives, systems for pickup and delivery, appreciation and acknowledgement and connecting donors with other ways to support MTW.
- Cultivate and maintain ongoing strategic partnerships such as universities, moving companies, faith-based organizations and publishers
- Develop and execute comprehensive systems for community and business book/media drives
- Support strategy and systems to source additional media items in addition to books.
- Manage Salesforce.com database system to track and deepen connections with individual book donors and partners
- Support the Executive Director and Director of Operations with strategic planning to develop sourcing partnerships to sustain 2 locations
- Support adult and youth team with overall operations of the business training programs, including some evening and weekend hours
2. Youth-Engaged Sourcing Department:
- Develop training manual, tools, systems and structure with youth to manage a “sourcing department” to secure ongoing donations and support youth to learn marketable sales, business and communication skills
- Working alongside youth, develop strategies and systems for the team to cultivate, manage and track relationships for book sourcing, including Salesforce.com
- Support youth to plan and execute book sourcing shifts including emails and phone calls to coordinate book drives
- Support youth to plan, prioritize and go after key book sourcing partners, i.e. university, corporate, and moving company partners to build sustainable, long-term book sourcing partners
- Review current trends in the book/media industry – both online and retail – to help youth identify strategies to improve sales by way of book sourcing
- Support youth to create presentations tracking MTW sourcing trends and benchmarks to present at weekly team meetings
3. Resource and Partnership Development:
- Support the Executive Director with strategy and systems to engage book donors and partners with opportunities for deeper engagement including financial donations and in-kind support
- Manage Salesforce.com to support ongoing communication and cultivation of book and financial donors
- Support the MTW team to drive foot traffic to the store by engaging book donors and partners with opportunities to visit and shop
- Support the MTW team to engage book donors and partners with opportunities to support youth outcomes including site visits, workshops and transition employment opportunities for youth
- Proven track record of salesmanship, creativity and ability to inspire and compel others
- 5+ years experience in sales including experience with Salesforce.com
- Track record of teaching, training or supervising new learners
- Ability to empower and engage youth with projects and systems- must be ethical, trustworthy, sincere, willing to hold youth accountable for performance and policies, and willing to set an example by being held accountable for performance and policies
- Exceptional time management, project management and organizational skills
- Exceptional writing skills appropriate for various target audiences
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, affinity for networking and demonstrated high level of confidence and poise in front of others, with a strong customer-service orientation
- Experience in budgeting, recruiting in-kind donations and managing partner relationships
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce.com database software preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required; graduate degree preferred
- Must be willing to work some nights and weekends
- Must be able to lift and carry boxes of books weighing over 25 pounds on a frequent basis
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to transport books and youth safely
- Must be able to move up and down stairs & be physically active on a regular basis
Salaried position with benefits- commensurate with experience
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
376 Moody St
Waltham, MA 02453